Thursday 13 February 2014

Canada



9/9/14
Brenda sent me this postcard of the sinking of the Titanic. It sank off the coast of Newfoundland before the State was part of Canada.

Thanks for the postcard








*****

 19/8/14
Jason sent me this postcard showing the differences between male and female Downy Woodpeckers. He has been familiar with them since he was a young boy watching them come to feeders in the garden. He has also visited Newfoundland to see a Puffin Colony and was amazed by how small they are.
Jason admits that he didn't watch the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, because he is most interested in Winter Sports - maybe there is call for a Winter Commonwealth Games then?

Thanks so much for the postcard and the information.






*****

16/8/14
Marie sent me this postcard from Ottawa, where she visited a few years ago. The main government is run from here, so there is lots of information and ceremonies about that.
The favourite bit of the Commonwealth Games for Marie was the closing ceremony, particularly when Kylie was on. 

Thanks for the postcard!










*****

 11/8/14
Elaine sent me this postcard of Montreal, with the large stadium at the front being the Olympic Stadium from the 1976 Summer Olympics. I'm surprised that the Commonwealth Games have never been held in Montreal - I'm sure they will be held there one day!

Thanks for the postcard!





*****







I was interested to learn that Vancouver has a large Chinese population, and that at the time of writing, Isabelle was distracted by all the New Year celebrations. Vancouver is one of those cities that I have always been fascinated by, and I would love to spend time exploring the wilderness that surrounds this bustling city. I'm sure I will make it over to the western side of America/ Canada at some point, and BC is definitely on my hit list when I get there!

Thanks to Isabelle for this postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment