Tuesday 25 February 2014

Finland



20/9/14
Outi sent me this postcard showing Painted Storks from India. I agree that they do look quite funny, but the bright colours make them kind of appealing, I think. I'm jealous of you seeing cranes flying over - I miss Scandinavia!

Many thanks for the postcard!












*****

 19/9/14
Susanna sent me this postcard showing Cowberries. When I was in Sweden they told me that these are very good on pancakes - I'm not convinced it better than Maple Syrup, but they were ok to try as a local delicacy!

Many thanks for the postcard!







*****

 18/9/14
Paivi sent me this postcard showing a Saimaa Ringed Seal. This species is the symbol of the Finnish Association for Nature Conservation and lives only in Eastern Finland where there are about 200 left. The main threats are that they can get caught in fishing nets, but also climate change as the local environment gets warmer.

Thanks for the postcard and the info on these seals - I too hope that they survive!




*****

 18/9/14
Ulla sent me this dog card showing (I think) a German Spitz. These are a very fluffy breed because they should spend a lot of time outdoors, so a good coat keeps them warm.

Many thanks for the postcard.













*****

 13/9/14
This magnificent painting of a Snowy Owl was sent to me by Outi. The painting is by renowned bird artist Teppo Tera. Outi visited a Zoo in Estonia and was amazed at the number of owls, eagles and hawks there. They truly are brilliant birds and I hope to work a lot closer with them in the future!

Thanks for the postcard.





*****

8/9/14
Pirkko sent me this lovely postcard showing a White Backed Woodpecker. It is a protected species in Finland but many landowners aren't happy with this as they cannot harvest or work near trees that have been identified as nests. Pirkko also enjoys travelling and has recently been to Poland and Ukraine, which was exciting.

Thanks for the postcard and the information about this species.









*****

 (No date)
This postcard arrived while I was away, so I didn't get a date for it. Mari sent me this postcard showing a Grey-Headed Woodpecker from a cold and rainy Finland. She writes that she thinks summer is over, but I'm sure you will have a few more days of sunny weather!

Thanks for the postcard.











*****

20/8/14
This is a Great Crested Flycatcher, which is a species I have never seen. Outi had a Spotted Flycatcher in her garden last year but it did not return this year. Given the distance they fly on migration, it's amazing that they make it back to the breeding grounds. I'm sure your friend will be back one day, and maybe even raise a family nearby!

Thanks for the postcard.








*****


11/8/14
Marianne sent me this postcard of a Lapponian Herder, a native breed used by the Sami to herd reindeer. Today they are mostly kept as companion dogs, but need lots of exercise. She also used a stamp showing a Finnish Hound, which are used to hunt hares and foxes. These are both new breeds to me, but thankfully I have seen and heard of Australian Silky Terriers around the shows, the breed that she has.

Thanks so much for the postcard and the information.
*****

8/8/14
Liisa describes Finland as a country of "rich, pure nature" and I can certainly understand this sentiment from the variety of postcards I've received! She very rarely sees woodpeckers when out in the woods, but hears them knocking at the wood looking for grubs. This is a species called the White Backed Woodpecker, which is new to me. I really must start planning a trip to Finland, the bird life is amazing!

Thanks for the postcard!







*****

6/8/14
Mari sent me this postcard of a Lesser White Fronted Goose, a fairly common species found in Finland. It was signed by several people from the Tampere postcrossing meeting, so thanks to everyone!





*****

5/4/14
I returned from an early morning birding session to find this waiting for me! Very appropriate given that we caught and ringed a few of this lovely Great Tit's Welsh cousins. Great timing too to arrive on a birding day! Susanna tells me that the Finnish name for these guys is talitintti and that they are one of the most common birds in Finland. Her parents have some feeders in their garden and they all spend some time watching the birds, especially in the winter when the garden is full of hungry birds. Even the cat joins in watching (so long as it doesn't chase or catch any!)

Thanks so much for the beautiful postcard, and the information on this much overlooked little bird.




*****

19/3/14
I love swans, and Whoopers are my favourites! Helena sent me this lovely dusky postcard of a "ballet" of swans, and told me that she and her husband feed the birds all winter. Her garden sounds like it is full of birds, and I'm sure there are a few different species we don't get in the UK.

Thanks so much for this beautiful card!



*****

16/4/14
This beautiful bird is a Lapland Jay. It is one of Outi's favourite birds from Finland, and I can see why! Maybe I'll be luck enough to see one when I'm in Sweden this summer?

Thanks so much for the postcard!





*****

4/3/14
I see a trend on Finnish postcards! Leena sent me this stunning sunset postcard over Lapland. She holds this area close to her heart, but now lives 800km away in Southern Finland. It is a very wild country, which just makes me want to visit more!

Thanks for the postcard, and hope you get back to visit soon.



*****

22/2/14
I received this beautiful postcard from Nina, who contacted me in response to a general post on a facebook group. I love sunsets, and truly miss the ones on the West Coast of Scotland (you just can't beat them!)
She has four cats who enjoy roaming in the countryside around her house.

Thanks for the postcard, I really want to visit Finland now!

No comments:

Post a Comment